Monday, February 26, 2007

quickly crafted

The Dearest and I had tickets to the Ducks' game on Sunday night. I'm *always* freezing at hockey games, so I had a plan to make a patchwork scarf to help keep my neck warm. Remember this fabric? Saturday night was spent cutting, sewing and quilting while watching "Monster In Law". Here's the result:

patchwork scarf

I made the scarf 60 inches long so I could wrap it around my neck doubled if I wanted. It's five inches wide- just perfect to keep the back of my neck nice & warm.



All of the fabrics are from Amy Butler's line. The backing is yellow chenille...nice and cozy against the skin.



I didn't really follow a pattern for this- the original inspiration was the patchwork scarf in Denise Schmidt's book. But I made mine up as I went along. The only thing I should have done was pay more attention to how the fabrics were lining up at the ends. Not too happy with how they are a bit too matchy matchy.

The scarf worked really well to keep me warm during the game. We were sitting way up in the nosebleed seats, but it was still fun.

9 comments:

clothesknit said...

i love it! i have that same book and a similar scarf is on my list for next fall!

Catherine said...

That is one cute scarf. I love Amy Butler fabrics! Very creative and crafty!

Joanna said...

I've seen lots of versions of this, but I think I like yours best. Beautiful!

LLA said...

I had never seen another version of this - so it was totally new to me. And I just love it! I think that it's simply gorgeous, and I bet that chenille feels wonderful against your neck!

Woolfairy said...

That is so pretty. I love the Amy Butler fabrics too and In Stitches is totally in my cart at Amazon (now I just need the $$ to buy all the stuff that is in there! LOL)

Anonymous said...

That is a nice scarf - inspiration for me...one more thing on my to-do list.

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful scarf! I like knitting, but I love fabric. How nice to be able to use fabric on something that is normally knit.

Thanks for you comment on my bag. You and I love Amy Butler and we belong the the moms of boys club. :o) I have 3. And they just recently quit running to the window to see the garbage truck. The oldest is 5 and I guess he just lost interest. They grow up to fast *sniff*.

canknitian said...

Just catching up -- what a BEAUTIFUL scarf! I love the idea, love the fabric, love it all!

Hope all is well with you -- your BF socks look fabu!

Beth Lemon said...

This is gorgeous!