Wednesday, April 06, 2005

A not so nice way to end the day....

I went to the La Petite Knitterie today for the weekly Sit N Stitch...had a great time as usual knitting and spinning. Super Spinner Lori even had time to show me how to Andean Ply. I had been trying to do this for the past couple of days using different photographs but I just couldn't get it. Probably because I draft with my right hand and spin the spindle with my left hand...it seems most people do it the other way and all the pics about Andean Plying that I saw used the left hand while I use the right. So everything was backwards to me. Anyways, Lori got me going on the wrapping for the AP. There was a ton more yarn on my spindle than I thought!

So I"m on my way home, driving at least 45 MPH on a heavily travelled street with plenty of street lamps and suddenly I see this *thing* in the road ahead. At first glance I thought it was a big blanket because it was rolling into my lane. I stepped on the brakes pretty hard and then suddenly realized it wasn't a blanket but a RACCOON. And not just a baby raccoon, but a huge adult that had to be the size of a cocker spaniel. I only saw it for a split second before it disappeared under my car and I heard this awful THUMP crunch THUMP THUMP crunch.

UGH

I got a glimpse of it in my rearview and it was rolling across another lane of traffic. I think it had already been hit once before I ran it over, but that didn't make me feel any better. I ended up pulling over a block or so down the road to check the front of my car.

There's a big piece of black plastic hanging off the front engine compartment, but nothing is dripping and the engine seemed to be running ok (albeit with a strange new vibration). Hopefully DH can take a better look in the morning before I have to go anywhere.

All I can say is: Hitting a BIG raccoon dead on at 45 MPH is no bueno. :(

1 comments:

Obsessed with knitting said...

Hi there
I was searching for LPK's address online and stumbled across your blog through the knitter's review! it's very cute!

sorry to hear about your car....icky.

see you next week!
--Stephanie
http://spiralz.tripod.com/blog/